కరీంనగర్ کریم نگر ضلع
|"City of Granites"|
|— city —|
|Planning Agency||Karimnagar Municipal Corporation|
|260,899 (12, AP) (2011)
• 11,115 /km2 (28,788 /sq mi)
|Sex ratio||1014 ♂/♀|
|Official languages||Telugu, Urdu, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+05:30)|
|23.99 km2 (9 sq mi)
• 265 metres (869 ft)
• 995 mm (39.2 in)
• 31 °C (88 °F)
• 44 °C (111 °F)
• 20 °C (68 °F)
Karimnagar is located on the banks of Manair river, a tributary of the Godavari river, is a city and a Municipal Corporation in Karimnagar district in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India. As of 2010 it is the fourth most populous city in the Telangana region and twelfth most populous city in Andhra Pradesh Also, it is one of the top 160 cities in the country. It is the administrative headquarters of Karimnagar District. Karimnagar is situated 162 kilometres (101 mi) north of Hyderabad, the capital city of Andhra Pradesh It is a major business center and it is emerging as a major educational hub.
HistoryKarimnagar's early history is dominated by the famous kingdoms of Satavahanas & Kakatiyas. Koti Lingala in Karimnagar was the first capital of the Sathavahanas before Dharanikota. Excavations at Koti Lingala revealed coinage of Simukha, a Satavahana emperor.
Karimnagar was originally called Kareem Nagar, deriving its name from Syed Kareemullah Shah Saheb Quadri.
It was one of the regional capitals during the rule of the Nizam. It has many historical monuments such as Tower circle, Kaman circle and Elgandal Fort which is 12 km away from the town of Karimnagar.
Several famous people such as P.V. Narasimha Rao, former Prime Minister of India.Cingireddy Narayana Reddy - Poet and writer, Vemulawada Bheema Kavi, Prof G Ram Reddy served as an Chairman of the University Grants Commission, 1st Vice Chancellor of IGNO, Vice Chancellor of Osmaniya University and Father of Distance education in India, Paidi Jairaj Dadasaheb Phalke Award winner, Fayaz mostly known for his style hail from Karimnagar. Karimnagar is famous for silver filigree work, a very delicate form of metal craft. Karimnagar is the fastest growing city in Telangana region.
GeographyKarimnagar is located at . It has an average elevation of 265 metres above sea level (869 feet). Karimnagar is one district in Telangana. Jagtial is the largest town, and is mostly commercial.
The majority of people in Karimnagar are Hindus. Muslim rulers, who ruled this region before Indian independence left their mark on the area. The religious breakdown is: Hindus 40%, Muslims 55%, Christian 4% and Sikh 1% . Across Karimnagar, there are several Hindu Temples, Mosques, Churches, and Gurudwaras.
Civic AdministrationThe city of Karimnagar is run by the Karimnagar Municipal Corporation. The Municipality of Karimnagar was upgraded to incorporated in 2005. Thousands of people within city limits reside outside corporation boundaries. Many areas on the outskirts have yet to be merged into corporation limits. The total population of the city (along with Karimnagar Sub-Urban and Karimnagar Rural) is around 3,30,000. The Municipal Corporation consists of members elected from the wards of the city. The Mayor and Deputy Mayor are elected by the members among themselves. A Municipal Commissioner, who is from the Indian Administrative Service is appointed to head the administrative staff of the Municipal Corporation and implement the decisions of the Corporation and prepare its annual budget.
Climate The region gets much rainfall from the South West monsoon. Summer season is extremely hot. Temperatures decline with the onset of the monsoons and winter season is generally cool. The most popular tourist season is from November to February. Summer season starts in March and can continue through early June. During this period temperatures range from a minimum of 27°C and can reach a maximum of 39°C. The highest recorded temperature in the areas is around 44°C. Nights are much cooler and the humidity is around 50%. The place gets most of its rainfall from June to September during the monsoon season. October and November also experiences increased rainfall from the North East Monsoon. Daytime temperatures average around 30°C. Winter season starts in December and lasts through February. Temperatures range from a minimum of 20°C and can reach 35°C.
Culture and cuisine
CultureTelugu is the language spoken by the majority in Karimnagar. Both traditional attire like Saree, Dhoti and modern dress styles are worn.
FestivalsTypical of this region is the spring festival of Bathukamma. Other major Hindu festivals celebrated in the region are Ugadi, Sri Ramanavami, Vinayaka Chavithi, Holi, Sri Krishna Janmashtami, Dasara, Deepavali, Sankranti and Maha Sivaratri.
Muslims celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr, Eid al-Adha, Ramadan (ninth month of the Islamic calendar), Laylat al-Qadr (Shab-e-Qadr), Isra and Mi'raj (Shab-e-Meraj), Shab-e-barat (Mid-Sha'ban), Milad-un-Nabi (Mawlid) and Muharram (Day of Ashura) with great pomp and ceremony and Christians celebrate Christmas and Good Friday.
CuisineSakinalu is one of the many traditional snacks made in Karimnagar. Usually, they are made for Sankranti festival. They are made with rice flour and sesame seeds, and fried in oil.
Sarvapindi is the another traditional snack native to Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh.
RoadKarimnagar city is located 162 kilometres from Hyderabad, 70 kilometres from Warangal and 150 kilometres from Nizamabad. APSRTC (Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation), has a Zonal headquarters (covering Adilabad, Nizamabad, Warangal, Khammam, and Karimnagar Districts) in Karimnagar. It has one of the busiest bus stations in India with over 2500 buses passing by every day.
As Karimnagar is not served fully by Rail. So, most of the commuters in city use buses to travel to distant places. APSRTC operates buses from Karimnagar to several places like Hyderabad/Secunderabad (served by 300 buses every day including Volvo coaches), Adilabad, Nizamabad, Warangal, Khammam, Nalgonda, Vijayawada, Vishakapatnam, Guntur, Piduguralla, Ongole, Kandukur, Kavali, Nellore, Puttaparthi & Tirupathi, in Andhra Pradesh. Mumbai, Bhiwandi, Shirdi, Chandrapur, Gadhchiroli, Gondia, Ramtek & Ahiri in Maharashtra State and Bangalore (served by Volvo Coach) in Karnataka State.
Recently Railway department conducted a trial run between Jagitial and Nagapuram (Kammarpally Mdl). Kammarpally to Morthad trail run will be completed by March'12. And it was also told, the existing trains will be extended from Peddapally to Morthad by April'12.
Currently it needs around 300 crores to complete the line from Morthad to Nizamabad. Our politicians should work very strongly to get this done by at least 2014.
Karimnagar-jagityal railway line set up a national record in goods/freight movement in India in this stretch stood up at first position in 2009.
AirThere is an airport at Basant nagar Kesoram cement factory at Ramagundam which is about 50 km from Karimnagar City. It was used when the Government of India was operating Vayudoot airlines a subsidiary of Air India and Indian Airlines. After the closure of Vayudoot, it has not been regular use. As of 2010, it is only used for landing of any VVIP's flights or for emergency landing of flights. The nearest international airport is Rajiv Gandhi International Airport located 162 km away from Karimnagar. The Andhra Pradesh state government is planning to develop this airport as a part of developing a second airport in Telangana region.
|Nanded, Aurangabad, Nashik, Surat, Vadodara, Ahmedabad||Ramagundam, Adilabad, Nagpur, Bhopal, Agra, New Delhi||Raipur, Ranchi, Bhubaneshwar, Kolkatta|
|Nizamabad, Pune, Mumbai||Rajahmundry, Kakinada, Vishakapatnam, Vizianagaram, Srikakulam|
|Medak, Sangareddy, Bidar, Solapur, Gulbarga, Bijapur, Belgaum, Hubli, Goa||Nalgonda, Siddipet, Hyderabad, Kadapa, Anantapur, Bengaluru, Tirupati, Chittoor||Warangal, Vijayawada, Eluru, Guntur, Nellore, Chennai|
Elgandal FortIt is situated on the banks of the Manair River amidst palm groves at a distance of 10 km from Karimnagar on the kamareddy road. This place is historically important because five important dynasties ruled over this place. The antiquities of the place worth mentioning are a fort on a hill, Brindavan tank on the outside of the Eastern Gateway of the fort made by Zafar-ud-Doula in 1754 A.D. minarets that oscillate when shaken and tombs of the Muslim saints like Syed Shah Munawar Quadri Saheb, Doola Shah Saheb, Syed Maroof Saheb, Shah Talib Bismilla Saheb and Vali Hyder Saheb. There is also a Do Minar out side of the fort near the High School which one can climb through inside of the minarets.
Ujwala ParkUjwala Park is one among the tourist places in Karimnagar. This was inaugurated in the year 2001. Ujwala Park has an excellent atmosphere and is a much-visited site by tourists in the city.
Lower Manair ReservoirLower Manair Reservoir work started in 1974 and it was completed in 1985. It is a huge construction much visited by tourists. The water of this reservoir rises to great heights during monsoon season. http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/65218044.jpg http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/65218044.jpg
Rajeev Deer ParkRajeev Deer park is located in a sprawling 30-acre land near to Lower Manair Dam on the outskirts of Karimnagar town.
VemulawadaVemulawada (alternatively spelt Vemulawada) is a town 35 km from Karimnagar, in the Andhra Pradesh state, India. It is chiefly notable for the Sri Raja Rajeshwara Swamy Temple complex, a site of pilgrimage for Hindu (particularly devotees of Vishnu and Shiva) worshippers.
DharmapuriDharmapuri attained religious importance owing to the existence of the shrine dedicated to Narasimha Swamy, an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Siva With Dakshinamurthy, Vinayaka and Sapitha Mathrukas carved on a single slab of stone and Mahishasuramardhani, the sixty pillared temple, Mahalakshmi temple, Akkapalle Rajanna, and over five hundred year old sri Sita Rama Swami temple are the other temples of importance that heighten the sanctity of the places of tourist interest in the district.
KondagattuKondagattu is a temple about 35 km from District head quarters, dedicated to Lord Anjaneya Swamy. According to the folklore, the temple was constructed by a cowherd some 300 years ago. The present day temple has been built 160 years ago by Krishna Rao Deshmukh. It is believed that if a woman offers puja for 40 days at this temple then she will be blessed with a child. It is about 30 km from vemulavada, another well known temple in Karimnagar. There is a Ghatroad from hilltop to base station
- P.V. Narasimha Rao - Prime Minister of India((1921–2004))
- Cingireddy Narayana Reddy - Poet and writer
- Prof G. Ram Reddy - UGC Chairman 1990-1993, Vice Chancellor of IGNOU, Osmania University and Father of Distance Education in India
- Singireddy Bhupathy Reddy - Martyr, Died fighting against the razakars
- Paidi Jairaj - Actor, director and producer
- Anabheri Prabhakar Rao - Martyr
- Thota Vaikuntam - Artist, Painter
- Sribhashyam Vijayasarathi, - Poet and writer of Kulapathi, Sarvavaidika Samsthanam, Yagna Varaha swamy temple.
- Bonala Vijaya Raghunandan Rao - Late Captain veera Chakra Receiver
- Kishenji - Late Politburo member of the Communist Party of India (Maoist) and the group's military leader.
- K.Hareesh shankar(Mirapakay fame) Renowned director
- Kranthi Kiran Gaini _a born genius
National Thermal Power CorporationNTPC Ramagundam, a part of National Thermal Power Corporation, is a 2600 MW Power station situated at Ramagundam in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India. It is the current largest power station in South India. It is the first ISO 14001 certified "Super Thermal Power Station" in India.
This Navaratna Public sector undertaking has completed 25 years of service. The Corporation during this period grew to be a front runner in the Indian Power Sector and is ranked as the 6th largest Power Generator in the world, with an installed capacity of 19,435 MW.
Singareni Collories Company LimitedThe Company's accredited function is to explore and exploit the coal deposits in the Godavari valley coalfield, which is the only repository of coal in South India. Mining activities of SCCL are presently spread over four districts of Andhra Pradesh Viz. Adilabad, Karimnagar, Khammam and Warangal.
Kesoram Cement FactoryKesoram Cement is one of the Birla group of companies.It was incorated in 1967. The plant is one of the biggest in south India and can produce cement with a capacity of 2500 metric tones per day. The technical objectives of the company are to develop indigenous technology and integrate foreign technology wherever necessary.
Granite IndustryKarimnagar district is known for its popular Tan Brown and Maple Red variety of granite. The granite from Karimnagar district in general and Odyaram village in particular was used extensively by China during the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Ever since, China has been using granite from Karimnagar district. It has become a popular brand the world over and all the Asian countries, including Japan, have started using the granite for various projects. Several countries began using the granite because of its low cost and superior quality. In Karimnagar district, there are over 600 stone quarries spread over several mandals such as Karimnagar, Manakondur, Mallial, Kesavapatnam etc. However, the popular quarries, which have a sway in the global market, number around 20. Every month about 10,000 to 12,000 cubic meters of granite stones are being exported to China and other countries. Each cubic metre of granite costs around Rs. 12,000 to Rs. 15,000. Every year, the granite stone business turnover crosses over Rs. 500 crore in the district. It has also become a good source of income for the railways, which has constructed special platforms for transportation of granite from Karimnagar, Gangadhara and Uppal railway stations in the district to Kakinada and Chennai ports for export to China. The stone is exported to China where it is polished and then marketed to Japan and other Asian countries. The cranes deployed for lifting of huge blocks of granite at the railway stations were also earning lakhs of rupees. Besides, it is also providing employment to several labourers and others.
EducationP.V. Narasimha Rao, former Indian Prime Minister is one among them. Many software students, born and educated in Karimnagar, have migrated to major metropolitan areas in India and across the globe.
Karimnagar has the following Universities and Colleges.
- Sathavahana University,Karimnagar
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University,Nachupally,Karimnagar
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University,Manthani,Karimnagar
- National Academy of Construction (NAC) has established its one regional centre at Jagtial in Karimnagar district.
Government Degree and PG Colleges
- Satavahana PG College, LMD, Karimnagar
- SRR Govt Degree College, Karimnagar (Accredited by NAAC B++ Grade)
- Govt Degree & PG College for Women, Kashmeergadda, Karimnagar (Accredited by NAAC B+ Grade)
- Govt Degree College,Gambhiraopet mandal
Top Private Degree and PG Colleges
Medical, Pharmacy and Nursing Colleges
- Chalmeda Ananda Rao Institute of Medical Sciences, Karimnagar.
- CVM College of Pharmacy, Velichala, Kothapally (via), Karimnagar.
- Pratima Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS), Nagunoor, Karimnagar.
- Prathima College of Nursing, Karimnagar.
- S.R.R College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Valbhapoor (V), Elkaturti (M), Karimnagar. ( Affiliated to Sathavahana University,Karimnagar from 2010 )
It is the first pharmacy college established by pharmacy professions in karimnagar. Greatly this college get NIPER 2010 All India 2 nd Rank by Vamshi krishna.
Principle of the college : Dr.B.Agaiah Goud
- Sai Institute of Health Sciences (BPT & MLT), Karimnagar.
- Santosh College of Nursing, Karimnagar.
- Sivani School of Nursing, Karimnagar.
- Sree Balaji College of Pharmacy,Choppadandi(V),Choppadandi(M),Karimnagar.
- Sree Chaitanya Institute of pharmaceuticals sciences.
- SRM Institute of Medical Sciences and Technology, Karimnagar.
- Trinity college of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Karimnagar.
- Vaageswari Ayurvedic College,Ramakrishna colony(V),Thimmapur(M),Karimnagar.
- Vageshwari College of Pharmacy,Ramakrishna colony(V),Thimmapur(M),Karimnagar.
- Vaageswari Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences,Ramakrishna colony(V),Thimmapur(M),Karimnagar.
- (MTCE)Mother Theressa College Of Engineering and Technology, karimnagar.
- (JITS-I)Jyothishmathi Institute of Technology and Science, Karimnagar.
- (JITS-II)Jyothishmathi Institute of Technological and Sciences, Karimnagar.
- Sree Chaithanya College of Engineering(I) and Technology, Karimnagar.
- Sree Chaithanya College of Engineering(II) and Technology, Karimnagar.
- (VITS-I)Vivekananda Institute of Technology & Science, Karimnagar.
- (VITS-SET)Vivekananda Institute of Technology & Science (VITS - School of Engineering & Technology), Karimnagar.
- (VITS-WEC)VITS Women's Engineering College, Bommakal, Karimnagar.
- Vaageswari College of Engineering, Karimnagar.
- Vaageswari Engineering College, Karimnagar.
- Vaageswari Institute of management sciences, Karimnagar.
- Vaageswari Institute of computer sciences, Karimnagar.
- Nigama Engineering College, Karimnagar
- Sahaja Engineering College, Karimnagar
- Trinity Engineering college, Karimnagar
- Crescent College of Education, Karimnagar.
- Shalini College of Education, Karimnagar
- Gourishetti Venkataiah Memorial College of Education, Karimnagar
- Loyola College of Education, Karimnagar
- Manair College of Education, Karimnagar
- RBVRR College of Education, Karimnagar
- Rousseau College of Education, Karimnagar
- Vashista College of Education, Karimnagar
- Vaniniketan Vidya Samithi, Karimnagar
Software CompaniesKarimnagar is also a budding home of IT Products and Startups.
- Icon Infolinks, Complete IT Solutions, Karimnagar
- Spoorthi Financial Services, Karimnagar - 9848354992
- Blu-ray Technologies,Pariwaar Bakery Building,Near Geetha Bavan, Karimnagar.
- Pencilcoders Labs India Pvt. Ltd.,Near. Sai Krishna Theatre, Bhagath Nagar, Karimnagar.
- Melango Labs Inc., Bhagath Nagar, Karimanagar
- DISC COMPUTERS., Mankammathota, Karimanagar
The Prathima multiplex is stated to the first of its kind in the State attached with a three-star hotel. Incidentally, this is the first multiplex in the State after Hyderabad city.
Swetha four-star hotel. It includes a restaurant, coffee shop, bar, banquet hall .
Hotel kalpana is one of the oldest hotel in karimnagar.Hotel kalpana established in 1972.Hotel kalpana shifted to new building in 2000. It includes a family restaurant, udipi fast food centre,bar,lodge,bakery,sweet house and banquet hall. along with this hotel, Geetha Bhavan is also one of the oldest hotels, and was established in 1975. it is the most famous vegetarian restaurant and the best sweet house in the district, famous for quality sweets.
ApparelKarimnagar hosts a wide variety of domestic, international apparel brands. K-Lounge is a very modern apparel store selling Killer, Integriti, Lawman Pg3 & Easies Brands, located on court road.
The major hospitals in the Karimnagar are:
- Apollo Reach Hospital, Subash Nagar, Near Railway Station.
- Sivarama Hospital
- Aryan Care and Cure Hospital, Near Raja Delux Theator.
- Sahara Hospitals.
- Nature Cure Health Centers, Bommakal.
- Rekurthy Eye Hospital.
- Chalmeda Anand Rao Hospital.
- Prathima Institute of Medical Sciences.
- Government Hospital.
Sports and Stadiums
- B.R. Ambedkar Stadium
- Indoor Stadium
- Swimming Pool
- Regional Sports School
- Water Sports Academy
- Police Parade Ground
- SRR college ground
- ^ Principal cities in the state of Andhra Pradesh
- ^ Top 200 cities across India
- ^ Karimnagar-Hyderabad distance by road
- ^ Karimnagar etymology
- ^ Etymology behind the name of karimnagar
- ^ Nizam'z one of the regional capital-Karimnagar
- ^ Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Karimnagar
- ^ Fast facts of Karimnagar city
- ^ World Gazetteer/India: largest cities and towns and statistics of their population Census of India does not have information from previous censuses on their site. Data from past censuses was obtained from World Gazetteer
- ^ Population statistics of towns and cities in india
- ^ Population, population in the age group 0-6 and literates by sex - Cities/Towns (in alphabetic order): 2001
- ^ Municipal Corporation
- ^ Weather conditions/Climate in the city of Karimnagar
- ^ Karimnagar vantalu/cuisine
- ^ Telangana vantalu/Sarvapindi
- ^ "guinnnes". Apsrtc.gov.in. Retrieved 17 May 2010.
- ^ Zonal headquarters of Andhra Pradesh state road development corporation
- ^ Tourism attraction in the city of Karimnagar
- ^ NATIOINAL THERMAL POWER CORPORATION Ltd(NTPC)Ramagundam,Karimnagar
- ^ SINGARENI COLLORIES,Ramagundam,Karimnagar
- ^ Kesoram Cement Factory,Basantnagar,Karimnagar
- ^ Granite industry in Karimnagar
- ^ National Academy of Construction,Karimnagar region centre Tom 'n' Jerry is one of the best school
- ^ CVM College of Pharmacy
- ^ Vivekananda Institute of Technology and Science
- ^ Vaageswari group,Karimnagar
- ^ Crescent College of Education
- ^ Software firms located at Karimnagar
- ^ Helping Businesses build great social web experience
- ^ Melango| UnConferences without borders
- ^ DISC Computers| Program your way to Success
- ^ Multiplex in the heart of the city/Karimnagar
- ^ Major hospitals in Karimnagar